- It should be known that secret principals of Goju-Ryu exist in the kata -
- Goju Ryu Karate-do is a manifestation within one's own self of the harmonious accord of the universe -
- The way of Goju-Ryu Karate-do is to seek the way of virtue -
Eight Poems of the Fists
GoJu - derived from from - third precept Of the Bubishi *
"Go" meaning Hard and "Ju" meaning Soft
1. The mind is one with heaven and earth
2. The Circulatory rhythm of the body is similar to the cycle of the sun and the moon
3. The way of inhaling and exhaling is hardness and softness
4. Act in accordance with time and change
5. Techniques will occur in the absence of conscious thought
6. The feet must advance and retreat, separate and meet
7. The eyes do not miss even the slightest change
8. The ears listen well in all directions
* Bubishi, the Chinese Manual of Martial Arts is a classic Chinese work on philosophy, strategy, medicine, and technique as they relate to the martial arts. Referred to as "the bible of karate" by the famous master Miyagi Chojun, for hundreds of years The Bubishi was a secret text passed from master to student in China and later in Okinawa. All of karate's legendary masters have studied it, applied its teachings, or plagiarized from it. No other classic work has had as dramatic an impact on the shaping and development of karate as The Bubishi.
Five Secrets of
Goju Ryu Karate-do
Sound, calm mind.
Be light in body.
Have a clever mind.
Master the basics.